References & Guides
Department of Education Military Family Resources
Research & Reports
- The UMASS Report concluded:
- Hawaii is generally comparable to the other school districts
studied as measured by student performance, educational programs, and
- The study found that Hawaii, and the comparable districts are
home to some excellent as well as challenged public schools.
- There is no basis to determine that Hawaii is not providing an
appropriate education for school age dependents who reside on military
installations in Hawaii.
- Reports to Congress:
- Other Online References:
Information for Educators
Education & Communication with Parents
Military Life & Culture
- Fred Rogers Center - Early Learning Environment
- Exploring Military Culture
- Other Online References:
- Tell Us Your Story from Operation Military Kids.
Reading some of the stories helps educators understand the effects of deployment & PCS on kids of all ages .
- Supporting Military Kids During Deployment
article by the Minnesota Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction
- The Voice of a Military Child
Minnesota Student media presentation on her life as a military child and the deployment/return of her Dad
- The Emotional Cycle of deployment- from a military perspective
An Article by: LTC Simon H. Pincus, USA, MC, COL Robert House, USAR, MC, LTC Joseph Christenson, USA, MC, and CAPT Lawrence E. Adler, MC, USNR-R
- Welcome Home- How to Make a Difference in the Lives of Returning War Zone Veterans
Washington State Family Policy Council brochure on how various segments of a community can make a difference in the lives of veterans returning form a war zone. Prepared by the Washington State Family Policy Council
- How Communities Can Support the Children of National Guard or Reserves
Military Child Education Coalition guides educators on supporting children of military parents.
- Operation Military Kids-Study Circles
Minnesota video on military families and deployment.
- School Quest
An MCEC resource for finding out about schools.
Grants & Funding
Contacts & Directories
The appearance of external hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Department of Defense Education Activity of the linked web sites, or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as Defense agencies or military service/command sites, the Department of Defense Education Activity does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. All links are provided consistent with the mission of the Department of Defense Education Activity. Please let us know
about existing external links which you believe are inappropriate and about specific additional external links which you believe ought to be included.